Prices in Canadian Dollars. Prefer to call and speak to a floral agent? 1-877-277-4787
Agapanthus is known as the Flower of Love, the name comes from the Greek word agape, meaning love & anthos, meaning flower. Agapanthus is also recognized as the National Flower of Antigua. The Agapanthus is known under several different names, such as Lily-of-the Nile, African Lily or Agapanthus Africanus. It is originally from South Africa and now grown all over the world for its beautiful blue and white flowers.
It has spectacular funnel-shaped florets in a round cluster that is 10 to 15 cm (4 to 6″) across. This is a true focal flower with strong, single stems and it is available in blue with stems of 30″-39″ and white with stems of 20″-24″.
Available year-round from Central and South America.
Care & Handling:
- Agapanthus is extremely sensitive to ethylene. Premature flower fall is a result due to exposure to ethylene.
- Vase life is 6 to 12 days.
- Start by filling a clean vase (disinfected, as germs kill flowers) with water to which Grower Direct Food Sachets have been added. Using it as recommended will provide additional days of vase life.
- Avoid using water from a water softener.
- Remove any leaves that may be under water to prevent decay. Bacteria in the water can clog stems.
- Display your fresh cut flower arrangement in a cool area out of direct sunlight and drafts.
- Keep your arrangements away from the heating and air vents and also never set it on a TV.
- Check flowers daily, refresh preservative, discard diseased and damaged flowers, and re cut stems.
- Be sure the foam materials are completely saturated and the container is full daily.
- These special flowers will draw attention in any design. They lend themselves to dramatic party or business pieces that rely on simplicity.
- Use in arrangements for the home. You can achieve a beautiful “garden” look, or a dramatic statement with a simple design of a fewstems anchored in marbles.
- Tie three stems together in a parallel design with a “‘Happy Birthday”‘ ribbon and a balloon.
- They provide an excellent display contrast with other large focal flowers like Birds or Callas.